FORT GIBSON HISTORIC SITE
Built in 1824, Fort Gibson served as a staging area for several military expeditions that explored the west and sought peace between the tribes of the region.
It was occupied through most of the Indian Removal period, abandoned in 1857, and then reactivated during the Civil War.
The army stayed through the Reconstruction after the War and helped combat the problem of outlaws and squatters in the Territory.
In 1890, the army abandoned Fort Gibson for the last time.
Visitors to the site can see a reconstruction of the early log fort as well as original buildings from the 1840s through 1870s.
Fort Gibson Historic Site
907 N Garrison St.
Fort Gibson, OK 74434