CHEROKEE NATIONAL CAPITOL
The Cherokee National Capitol currently houses the judicial branch of the Cherokee Nation. After the Civil War, the tribal council made provisions for a new building to commemorate the achievements of the Cherokees in overcoming the hardships of removal, merging their tribal factions into a unified nation and assuming a prominent position among the other area tribes.
The Capitol Building was completed in 1869 and occupied the center of the town square. It held the executive and legislative offices until 1906, when the Five Civilized Tribes began abolishing their tribal governments in accordance with the Curtis Act of 1898.
Cherokee National Capitol
101 S. Muskogee Ave.
Tahlequah, OK 74464